“I-rish you a very nice place to live,
I-rish God’s greatest gifts he’ll give.
I-rish you health, and wealth, and more–
I-rish your smilin’ face were at my door!”
There are many ways to celebrate St. Patrick’s day and here are just a few if you’re in Charlotte:
“St. Patrick’s Day is an enchanted time — a day to begin transforming winter’s dreams into summer’s magic.”
~~By Adrienne Cook.~~
- Jamie Sunnycalb -
At the close of 2010, take a second to reflect on the top Charlotte Law Library News posts of the year. The blog posts were determined, by you, the reader, based on how popular you considered them throughout the year.
- Library Summer Hours. Driven mostly because of the cute cartoon sun, viewers hit this post 3 times as many times as our #2.
- Home page of the Charlotte Law Library News, which changes weekly based on the blog submission provided by the Charlotte Law Library Team. The blogs range from announcement of library news to updates in new library technology to funny cartoons drawn in-house.
- CSL Mobile Reference. Join our Friends List: We’re available at CSLReference.
- New in Town? Written by Ms. Jamie Sunnycalb. From malls to sporting events, she explores the ins and outs of Charlotte’s hot spots and entertainment. This post is a great guide to Charlotte, especially for the new CharlotteLaw student.
- Murphy’s Law School: 2. Charlotte Law Library’s original comic created by Access Services Manager, Kim Allman, and CSL former Reference Librarian, Anthony Aycock.
- Murphy’s Law School 4. The fourth in the series of comics depicting humorous legal scenerios.
- The North Carolina Bar Exam: Tips and Tricks. A compilation of resources for studying and taking the Bar Exam in North Carolina.
- North Carolina regulations regarding coyote community. “The law of coyotes in North Carolina is a well-developed common law tradition dating from the earliest years of British rule to the present day. This rich heritage of amusing anecdotes, famous cases, and important contributions to the law of ferae naturae is well documented” in this blog post written by CharlotteLaw’s former reference librarian, Tom Hemstock.
- Murphy’s Law School. The original comic strip posted for entertainment purposes by the Charlotte Law Library Staff.
- Thinking that the North Carolina Bar exam is hard???? A comical take on the North Carolina Bar Exam versus Montana’s requirements.
Our students have been busy: Homeowners get help from law students to tap into Beazer fund [Full-text available at http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/11/19/1849344/homeowners-get-help-to-tap-into.html].
For more resources on mortgage fraud, check out a few titles that we have in our electronic collection:
Author: United States. Congress. House. Committee on Financial Services. Subcommittee on Housing and Community Opportunity.
Title: Legislative solutions for preventing loan modification and foreclosure rescue fraud [electronic resource] : hearing before the Subcommittee on Housing and Community Opportunity of the Committee on Financial Services, U.S. House of Representatives, One Hundred Eleventh Congress, first session, May 6, 2009.
Imprint Washington : U.S. G.P.O., 2009.
Connect to http://purl.access.gpo.gov/GPO/FDLP1490
Author: Fulmer, Ann.
Title: Burning down the house [electronic resource] : mortgage fraud and the destruction of residential neighborhoods.
Imprint [Washington, D.C. : U.S. Dept. of Justice, 2010]
Connect to http://purl.access.gpo.gov/GPO/LPS123353
Author: United States.
Title: Fraud Enforcement and Recovery Act of 2009 Title An Act to Improve Enforcement of Mortgage Fraud, Securities and Commodities Fraud, Financial Institution Fraud, and Other Frauds Related to Federal Assistance and Relief Programs, for the Recovery of Funds Lost to These Frauds, and for
Other Purposes [electronic resource available at http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_public_laws&docid=f:publ021.111.pdf ]
To celebrate Black History Month, here are some activities in and around Charlotte:
*Celebrate Black History Month by participating in the 12th Annual Charlotte Black/African-American Heritage Tour and Pilgrimage 2010.
This is a professionally-guided motorized-tour that includes over 50 sites and covers over 30 miles of historic terrain in Charlotte and Huntersville! This tour is only offered once a year during the month of February- Black History Month!
February 27, 2010
Saturday 10:00 am- 4:30 pm
*Visit the International Civil Rights Center & Museum in Greensboro, site of Woolworth’s lunch counter sit-in 50 years ago.
*Blood Done Sign My Name
Wednesday, February 17
Don’t miss this special one night only theatrical performance of Tim Tyson’s award-winning Civil Rights era memoir
Held at the McColl Family Theater at ImaginOn, 300 E. 7th Street, Charlotte
Duke University playwright Mike Wiley performs his acclaimed adaptation of the story of a 1970s murder in Oxford, NC, seen through the eyes of young Tim Tyson at the Museum Of The New South. Wiley and Tyson himself, now professor of history at UNC Chapel Hill and Duke University, will be on hand for a “talkback” with the audience after the performance. Recommended for ages 15 and older.
*Visit www.plcmc.org for more information on these programs sponsored by the public library:
Lessons from the lunch counter
Before Rosa: The Unsung Contribution by Sarah Mae Flemming
The building will be closed on July 3rd and 4th to all employees & students.
ID badges will not work.
The library is celebrating National Library Week by sponsoring an Ice Cream Social on Wednesday, April 15th. Yes, that is Tax Day!
What kinds of toppings would you like to see offered at the social?
Oh yea, don’t forget we’re giving out prizes there too! The library will be raffling off prizes starting at 2:30. To be entered into the raffle, stop by the Reference Desk Monday-Wednesday (April 13th-15th) & fill out a short survey.
If you didn’t already know, here’s what we have to give away- iPod Shuffle; 30 minute full-body massage gift certificate; Gift cards to BlackFinn, TGIFridays, WhiskeyRiver and Mama Riccatas; Umbrellas, portfolios, waterman pen, career-building books, Bar strategy books, & a lot more!